Articles, Blogs, Whitepapers, Webinars, and Other Resources
Looking to accelerate your career growth and increase your income?
Looking to accelerate your career growth and increase your income?
Cybersecurity areas; how to narrow down my career choice
In this modern age the world relies on technology more than ever and this reliance will only increase over time. As a result of this rapid digitalization data creation has seen an immense surge. Now both private and government organizations rely heavily on data communication and networks but systems have vulnerabilities as well, upon exploitation these systems can come under heavy outside influence which may lead to huge of amount of losses. Data theft is a disastrous scenario for any organization and companies are working round the clock to enhance their security protocols and make the web a safe place to do business in.
According to recent surveys conducted data breaches can cost a mid-size company around $3.6 million USD annually. This is because digital business thrive on trust and once the client does not feel secure on your platform anymore the company is more likely to lose a lot of business.
This is where Cybersecurity professionals come in, trained individuals having cybersecurity certification are in high demand across the globe now. The primary goal of any cybersecurity professional is to safeguard the company’s digital commodities from outside or inside theft. Cybersecurity professional also train IT teams as required. Some common types are cybersecurity techniques are:
- Data Loss Prevention: This essentially refers to measures taken in order to prevent organizational data from being stolen
- Cloud Security: Cloud platform is emerging as one of the biggest web framework, cloud security refers to using cloud based applications to secure applications
- Identity and Access Management: IAM involves usage of authentication services to track and limit malicious/ harmful activity
- Antiviruses: Involves development solutions used to detect suspicious code or patches within the framework and take suitable measures
- Encryption: Encryption is the process of creating secure data packets in order to prevent data loss during transmission
The three most popular areas in Cybersecurity are Cryptography, Ethical Hacking and Network. In order to help you make a well informed decision regarding your cybersecurity certification we have explained the three comprehensively.
Cryptography vs Ethical Hacking vs Network Security
One of the most common misperception regarding cryptography is that people confuse it with basic encryption. Indeed encryption is a vital component of cryptography but there is so much more to it. Some of the defining principles regarding cryptography are:
To put this very simply encryption is the process of securing data packets by converting them into unreadable form. By encrypting data bits are scrambled out of order which makes it hard for hackers to interpret the data. Different keys are used to decrypt information on the receivers end.
Authentication is another important part of the cryptography process, authentication protocols ensure that only the intended receiver may open the message if the message is received elsewhere it won’t be in readable format.
A skilled cryptographer must ensure that the integrity of the data packet must remain intact over the transfer. It simply means that no alteration should happen in the process which may lead to wrong information being delivered.
- Digital Signatures
Digital signatures ensure the validity of the received information, many times hackers impersonate as someone within or outside the company to extract information. A cryptographer must ensure that all message must have digital signatures imprinted to avoid security leaks.
- Ethical Hacking
Ethical hacking is simply defined by when an authorized person legally hacks into a company mainframe in order to test the security loopholes. An ethical hacker uses all conventional hacking techniques to penetrate the system, by doing so he can identify the weak points of the system and implement counter measures accordingly. Popular industry practices about ethical hacker are:
- Acquire legitimate permission from the concerned authorities before starting the test
- Have respect for people or company’s data to get access to
- Once you are done, make sure all security protocols are up and running and no one else can hack into the system
- Be transparent about the system loopholes, let the company know what they should do it order to improve security.
Ethical hackers are the most sought out cybersecurity professionals in the world right now. Individuals with a valid cybersecurity certification are best preferred to fill in these positions.
- Network Security
Network Security is probably the most diverse branch in cybersecurity. Cybersecurity certified network security engineers operate on networks, software and applications. The main role of network security professional is to design and implement the security protocols necessary for maintaining smooth operations.
There are many layers that a network security professional must take into account but since they are mainly working within the firm, network security professional are required to regularly work with the IT team and train them regarding cybersecurity protocols. Network security mainly splits into further three branches:
- Physical network security: Involves work on onsite network serves and databases and diagnose if there are any vulnerabilities.
- Technical network security: Involves security of data present in onsite server rooms, there are many onsite security threats like data theft within the company.
- Administrative network security: This role falls more on the management side of network security. Administrative network security professional oversee the IT teams security implement and suggest updates and remedies for the system.
How to land a job in Cybersecurity
The traditional path that comes to the mind when thinking about a career information technology is to enroll in a Computer Science degree program which is actually not the case. In this fast paced industry companies are more concerned about skillset rather than a degree that is why a cybersecurity certification is the best way to go about it. Our online cybersecurity training sets you up for a successful cybersecurity training by making sure you have a solid grasp on the following:
- Have a solid understand of hardware and software fundamentals used in security operations
- Learn the necessary programming skills like Python to troubleshoot problems
- Have the basic analytical skills to analyze problems related to data sets
- Have an extensive portfolio that showcases your skills briefly
And that’s a wrap, I hope by now you have developed an interest in learning Cybersecurity as a career. If yes, checkout NEIU's online cybersecurity certification and put yourself on track towards a lucrative in IT industry.